Regular physical activity is fun and healthy and increasingly more people are starting to become more active every day. Being more active is very safe for most people. However some people should check with their doctors before they start becoming more physically active.
If you are planning to become more physically active than you are now, start by answering the seven questions below. If you are between the ages of 15-69, the PAR-Q will tell you if you should check with your doctor before you start. If you are over 69 and you are not used to being very active, check with your doctor.
If you have answered YES to one or more questions
Talk with your doctor by phone or in person BEFORE you start becoming much more physically active or BEFORE you have a fitness appraisal. Tell your doctor about the PAR-Q and to which questions you answered YES.
- You maybe able to do any physical activity you want - as long as you start slowly and build up gradually. Or, you may need to restrict your activities to those which are safe to you. Talk with your doctor about the kinds of activities you wish to participate in and follow his/her advice.
- Find out which community programmes are safe and helpful for you.
If you have answered NO to one or more questions
If you have answered NO honestly to all PAR-Q questions, you can be reasonably sure that you can:
- Start becoming much more physically active - begin slowly and build up gradually. This is the safest and easiest way to go.
- Take part in a fitness appraisal - this is an excellent way to determine your basic fitness so that you can plan the best way forward for you to live actively.
DELAY BECOMING MUCH MORE ACTIVE:
- If you are not feeling well because of a temporary illness such as a cold or a fever - wait until you feel better.
- If you are or may be pregnant - talk to your doctor before you start becoming active.
Please note: If your health changes so that you answer YES to any of the above questions, tell your fitness or health professional. Ask whether you should change your physical activity plan.
If any doubt after completing the questionnaire, consult your doctor prior to physical activity.
I confirm that I use the equipment and take part in the exercises at my own risk. I hereby absolve the instructor, operators, agents and employees from all liability however caused from any injury or damage sustained by me through the use of the premises or equipment installed or from my participation in any physical exercise. I herby indemnify any claim, cost or damages in respect of any action brought by me or by personal representatives in respect of the use of equipment or participation in physical activity.
I have read, understood and completed the questionnaire. Any questions I had were answered to my full satisfaction.